The Australian Academy of Science and Australian Academy of Law will be holding a joint symposium on the topic of 'Are You Sure?'
This joint symposium sees the Australian Academy of Law and the Australian Academy of Science come together to present discussions around:
- Scientific certainty compared with legal certainty, and scientific decision-making compared with decision-making by courts
- The difference between the scientific assessment of evidence and the assessment of evidence by the courts
- The different notions of what is evidence and the different timeframes for reaching a decision
- Cause and effect in science and law
- Unconscious predispositions (biases) of judges and witnesses
- The presentation and treatment of expert scientific evidence in the courts
- Uncertainty as part of certainty
This event will be held on Thursday 23 August 2018, 5.00pm at the Federal Court's Ceremonial Court, Level 21 Law Courts Building, Queen's Square, Sydney, from 5:00pm.
Please register by Monday 20 August 2018.
For further information please see the attached flyer.