The Australian Academy of Science and Australian Academy of Law held a joint symposium on the topic of 'Are You Sure?'
This joint symposium saw the Australian Academy of Law and the Australian Academy of Science come together to present discussions around:
- Scientific certainty compared with legal certainty, and scientific decision-making compared with decision-making by courts
- The difference between the scientific assessment of evidence and the assessment of evidence by the courts
- The different notions of what is evidence and the different timeframes for reaching a decision
- Cause and effect in science and law
- Unconscious predispositions (biases) of judges and witnesses
- The presentation and treatment of expert scientific evidence in the courts
- Uncertainty as part of certainty
This event was held on Thursday 23 August 2018 in the Federal Court's Ceremonial Court, Level 21 Law Courts Building, Queen's Square, Sydney, from 5:00pm.
To see the video of the event please click here.
Copyright Australian Academy of Law